Thursday, May 20, 2010

I Have a Daughter...

Annie and her little Miss Em...
In 1980 when Annie was three, Carole Melvin put together the program for the Mother Daughter Tea at Sunkist. She gave me the words to a song she wrote called "I Have a Daughter." I practiced and practiced, and the plan was Annie would sit in my lap while I rocked her in a rocking chair and sang the song... The only part of the words I remember are, "I have a daughter who's looking to me, as an example of what she should be..." I remember thinking that those words would either come back to haunt me, or I would live up to them. I wasn't at all sure I had what it took to raise a daughter living out the example that God intended me to be for her. Now, as I reflect on her birthday today, I know how I have failed in so many ways. At the same time, I stand amazed that God has given such grace in that the woman that she has become is living out an example to her own very precious and silly little girl, Miss Em. Annie is a Godly woman and tries so hard to do what is right by her family. She is everything I would have wanted to be for her... God is so good, and I am so blessed to have her in my life, as an example now to me, and to those she is privileged to care for. Oh, during the song I sang to her in 1980, she was absolutely adorable, with all those bouncing ringlets, enjoying her moment and the oohs and awws of the audience as she wiggled and squirmed in my lap!

Happy birthday darling Annie.

3 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you sweet mom, This made me cry.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Charif said...

What a sweet memory

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Saija said...

awww, what a lovely post! i just love reading about your "family fan club" ... you guys really do support each other - and are GREAT examples of how families should strive to be ...

blessings on ya!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home