Friday, August 11, 2006

Little Woman

The Cast


Grandma's Little Woman!

Penny and I had lunch at the Hollywood Farmer's Market!

Grandma and Penny, August 6, 2006

Last Sunday Penny and I had the privilege of going to the Pantages Theater to see the Broadway musical production of Little Women. It was wonderful! You all know what a young lady Penny is becoming--and can imagine how much fun it is for me to spend time with her as she is indeed emerging into a "little woman!"

The main character in the story is, as you know, Jo. Jo is an 1800s woman ahead of her time--a writer, and based on the life story of her author and creator, Louisa May Alcott. She was a Christian woman, and had much heartache in her life--unlike Jo in this most famous story, she never married, but cared for her family throughout her life and also worked in hospitals caring for wounded soldiers during the Civil War. She died at my age, 56, just two days after her own father, a chaplain during the war. Her spirit, her sacrifices, her inner voice, and her amazing talent make her not just a heroine from the pages of a thrilling story of long ago, but a true "American idol" for girls like Penny to admire and emulate some 150 years later. I bought on Alibris a biography of Louisa and can't wait to share it with my "Little Woman" when it comes!

The last words on the pages of "Little Women" is the voice of Marmee...Touched to the heart, Mrs. March could only stretch out her arms, as if to gather her children and grandchildren to herself, and say, with face and voice full of motherly love, gratitude, and humility, -- "O my girls, however long you may live, I never can wish you a greater happiness than this!"

What an epitapth, all the loves of my life!!

3 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

How beautiful. Looks like a wonderful time.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger coolskool mom said...

The day you went to the play, I started reading
"Little Wome", as I have never read it before...what a wonderful book, I am half way through and I cant put it down, I have cried half a dozen times already. I cant believe I never read it before.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger auntibeck said...

I know--My interest is completely renewed and I'm going to start reading it too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home