Sunday, March 19, 2006

Lessons

I've learned that the individual is responsible for his or her own happiness. I learned this at a very young age from my mother's own testimony and from my sister who created her own happiness when her marriage was so unhappy. In this lesson was the understanding that the individual alone answers to God for what is done in life; not the spouse, or the unhappy childhood, or negligent parents, or lack of education, or any other influence.

I have learned that the tongue can destroy relationships, reputations, and careers. And that my own tongue often runs rampant, seemingly without control or check.

I have learned that God has made me exactly who I am--with my own unique personality and hard-wiring and there's not much that can change without my being willing to allow God Himself to work in my heart, mind, and soul.

I have learned that my children are the only "things" I will take to eternity with me, and, therefore, my showing them the way to Jesus was a huge responsibility. Only they can choose life eternal, but my influence was essential.

I've learned that grandchildren crown one's life with joy.

I've learned that a critical spirit is bad.

I've learned that it is hard to say good-bye.

1 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Blogger Belle Etoile said...

So true, all of it. You are one of the people I admire most in my life, Becky. Your strength and perserverance give a feeling of hope and security to your family that cannot be duplicated by anyone else. My prayer is to one day provide for my children what you've provided to yours - these many lessons and more. My prayer is to be a great mother like you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home